Saturday, April 23, 2011

Where is your food coming from?

Happy Easter weekend.  This weekend we started the 2011 batch of wine by starting with Dandelion.  Chuck spotted that dandelion was beginning to bloom on the meadows, so yesterday picked the freshest and earliest dandelion.  What works about picking it there is that we know it has not been sprayed or anything.  The greens are truly ‘green’ and no pesticides (which would kill the dandelion anyway).  Off subject but worth noting is that the 6 year felled willow tree is now sprouting new trees from the log on the ground.  We are trying to figure out how to incorporate it where it lays.

Beyond the dandelion wine, this is the weekend we made organic Easter eggs using farm eggs dyed with purple and brown onion skins.  We had gone to an Egg Show nearby about 2 weeks ago and saw that one of the participants had taken things like violet leaves and placed them on the eggs, then sewed them into a cloth bag and put that in to steep in the onion water.  We KNEW we had to try that.  So we did.  They came out really well.  I am sure that Chuck’s blog (TheHouseOfBickert.blogspot.com) will have picture.  If you read my blog enough, you know I don’t do pictures.  My Facebook page has them, but not here.

The family dinner tomorrow has each of us bringing something.  Chuck and I are baking 8 loaves of bread (1 Paska, 3 White, 1 Wheat, 3 Pumpernickel Rye) for dinner and some Devilled eggs that will be made from out own chicken eggs, now that they are FINALLY beginning to lay the way we want them to lay.

OK, what do we eat…… I read a really good article somewhere that points out that our weight and health has a lot to do with what we eat.  That makes sense…. DUH!!!???

Beyond that I can tell you that fat people have no idea where or what their food is OR simply don’t care.  Now, before I get hate mail, if you know me, you know I could stand to lose some 75 pounds or so.  I speak from personal knowledge.  I eat on the run and eat what is quickly at hand.  When I take the time to eat right, I lose weight without trying.  Trust me on that one.  I can lose 20 pounds in a month or so, simply by taking the time to eat right.  Not eating less or restricting, but eating the right stuff at pretty much any level I want.  Eat balanced and lose weight.  Better than losing weight is that I feel better.  The arthritic ankles are less painful.  The knees don’t hurt so much etc.  So, why don’t I do that on a regular basis?  Good question.  Time management.  I eat on the run and it is way, way too easy to eat cold cuts, processed cheeses, processed foods, etc.  It is not that I don’t like better food.  Last night we had a great cold halibut salad on spring greens with quality cheeses.  It was topped with fresh lemon juice and EVOO.  I could have eaten more of it.  It was that good and it was that good for me.

I always do better in the spring, summer and early fall.  I know I will do better this year too.  That is when we sell produce.  When I am eating out own stuff I feel and eat better.  Fresh vegetables and fruits that are pesticide and chemical free, grown and picked immediately from farmers that we know certainly beats the store bought frozen from Chile, China or somewhere else.  I also can guarantee that it has not be genetically modified (NO FRANKENFOODS)

We are growing a larger selection this year that in years before, so more and more of what we sell will be our own, hopefully.  We are also moving toward using only heirloom seeds.  I have no intention of supporting Monsanto or ADM or the agrichemical companies that are looking to put small farmers out of business.

When we don’t grow our own items we guarantee we know where the produce came from.  In nearly 100% of the cases we can put a face to the farmer that grew it.  If we can’t put a face to the farmer we can put a face to the farmer's son who brought it to auction and we know which farm it was grown on and how it was grown.  The other standard is our cousin, Becky, grows some produce for us.  She uses the same standard of growing we do…. NO CHEMICALS, LOCALLY GROWN ONLY, NO PESTICIDES, IN SEASON, PICKED FOR IMMEDIATE SALE.  Can’t go wrong by that standard.

If you do choose to eat more of that standard, you will have no choice but to feel better and to lose weight.  It happens.  Your body doesn’t artificially store chemical laden concoctions.  It uses natural food the way food is supposed to by our bodies.  It burns the calories and dispels the rest.  Just that easy. 

Easter at the Verba-Bickert house will be sharing dinner with some extended family.  The food will be a wide variety of processed and non-processed food.  We will have to be choosey on what we eat, if we want to stay the course.  Having so much enjoyed last nights dinner, I know I have that as a plan. 

Buy local, Buy fresh, Buy from US !!

No comments:

Post a Comment